Subject: The Roswell debris Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 21:38:57 -0700 DESCRIPTIONS OF ROSWELL

Master Index Current Directory Index Go to SkepticTank Go to Human Rights activist Keith Henson Go to Scientology cult

Skeptic Tank!

======== Newsgroups: alt.alien.visitors,alt.paranet.ufo,sci.skeptic Subject: The Roswell debris From: Brian Zeiler Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 21:38:57 -0700 DESCRIPTIONS OF ROSWELL CRASH DEBRIS BY CIVILIAN AND MILITARY WITNESSES Compiled by David Rudiak The eyewitness descriptions are derived from the following sources using the following abbreviations: F&B: Stanton Friedman and Don Berliner, "Crash at Corona", 1991 B&M: Charles Berlitz and William Moore, "The Roswell Incident," 1980. R&S1: Kevin Randle and Don Schmitt, "UFO Crash at Roswell" R&S2: Kevin Randle and Don Schmitt, "The Truth About the UFO Crash at Roswell," 1994 U.M.: TV Program "Unsolved Mysteries," Sept. 1989 VIDEO1: "UFOs, A Need to Know," 1991. VIDEO2: "UFO Secret: The Roswell Crash," 1994. FUFOR: "The Roswell Events", ed. Fred Whiting, sponsored by Fund for UFO Research, 1991; quoted in the 1994 Air Force Report on Roswell. USAF: United States Air Force Report on Roswell, Sept. 1994. KPFA: KPFA radio broadcast, Berkeley, CA, 11/15/94, Ralph Steiner, producer. SR#6: Leonard Stringfield's UFO Crash/Retrievals Status Report VI, 1991. SKEP July/August 1995 "Skeptical Inquirer" To assist in comparing various eyewitness descriptions, the crash materials have been divided into several broad categories: 1. Wood-like/plastic-like sticks or I-beams with "hieroglyphic" writing. 2. Tough, flexible, foil-like material with "memory" properties. 3. Descriptions of other metal-like substances, particularly unbendable metal. 4. Tape-like material with "hieroglyphic" writing or "flower patterns" 5. Parchment or paper-like material, with "hieroglyphics" 6. Threadlike or wire-like material. 7. Size of the debris field, gouges in the ground, and quantities of debris. 8. Misc: Gen. George Schulgen's memo of 10/28/47 describing possible flying saucer materials and construction. Dr. Robert Sarbacher's comments on lightweight saucer crash materials and aliens; Wilbert B. Smith's comments on handling and analyzing non-Roswell flying saucer debris. Jacques Vallee's comments on Roswell. 1. WOOD-LIKE TAN STICKS OR I-BEAMS WITH "HIEROGLYPHICS" LORETTA PROCTOR (The Proctors were neighbors of Mac Brazel, the rancher who found the crash debris) (F&B, interviewed July, 1990) "The piece he brought looked like a kind of tan, light brown plastic. It was very lightweight, like balsa wood. It wasn't a large piece, maybe about four inches long, maybe just a little larger than a pencil. We cut on it with a knife and would hold a match on it, and it wouldn't burn. We knew it wasn't wood. It was smooth like plastic, it didn't have a real sharp corners, kind of like a dowel stick. Kind of dark tan. It didn't have any grain, just smooth. I hadn't seen anything like it." (VIDEO1) "In 1947, I think it was the first of July, he came over with something that looked like wood that he had found over on the ranch and wanted us to take a look. ...The piece he brought up was about the size of a lead pencil and about 4 or 5 inches long. It was kind of a tan color, kind of what we would say plastic now, but we didn't have plastic then. You couldn't cut it, or burn it, or whittle it -- just very, very hard. It was very light, it seemed to be." (Pflock, FUFOR, affidavit 5/5/91): "In July 1947, my neighbor William W. "Mac" Brazel came to my ranch and showed my husband and me a piece of material he said came from a large pile of debris on the property he managed. The piece he brought was brown in color, similar to plastic. He and my husband tried to cut and burn the object, but they weren't successful. It was extremely light in weight. I had never seen anything like it before." (R&S1, 1989): " ...he did bring a little sliver of a wood looking stuff up, but you couldn't burn it or you couldn't cut it or anything. I guess it was just a sliver of it, about the size of a pencil and about three to four inches long. I would say it was kind of brownish tan but you know that's been quite a long time. It looked like plastic, of course there wasn't any plastic then, but that was kind of what it looked like. [Q: When he brought it up, did you try to cut it?] A: No, we didn't. He did..." WILLIAM BRAZEL JR. (Mac Brazel's adult son in 1947; returned to ranch while father was incarcerated by military and found some scraps of debris left behind after military cleanup): (F&B) "[There were also] some wooden-like particles like balsa wood in weight, but a bit darker in color and much harder.... It was pliable but wouldn't break. Weighed nothing, but you couldn't scratch it with your fingernail. All I had was a few small bits. [There was no writing or markings on the pieces I had] but Dad did say one time that there were what he called "figures on some of the pieces he found. He often referred to the petroglyphs the ancient Indians drew on the rocks around here as "figures," too, and I think that's what he meant to compare them with." "Some of it was like balsa wood: real light and kind of neutral color, more of a tan. To the best of my memory, there wasn't any grain in it. Couldn't break it-- it'd flex a little. I couldn't whittle it with my pocket knife." [Quoting his father, Mac Brazel, some time after 1947] "[There was] some wood, and on some of that wood there was Japanese or Chinese figures." (B&M; interview Dec. 1979) "There were several different types of stuff. sure was light in weight. It weighed almost nothing. There was some wooden-like particles I picked up. These were like balsa wood in weight, but a bit darker in color and much harder. You know the thing about wood is that the harder it gets, the heavier it is. Mahogany, for example is quite heavy. This stuff, on the other hand, weighed nothing, yet you couldn't scratch it with your fingernail like ordinary balsa, and you couldn't break it either. It was pliable, but wouldn't break. Of course, all I had was a few splinters. It never occurred to me to try to burn it so I don't know if it would burn or not." [Quoting his father] "Dad did say one time that there were what he called 'figures' on some of the pieces he found. He often referred to the petroglyphs the ancient Indians drew on rocks around here as "figures" too, and I think that's what he meant to compare them with." (R&S1) "There were some pieces of wood ... like balsa wood. Real light, kind of a neutral color, kind of a tan. And I couldn't break it. [It would} flex a little. The longest piece I found, about six inches would flex a little. I couldn't break it and I couldn't whittle it with my pocketknife. ...I did try to whittle on that piece of wood. I didn't even get a little sliver off it." [Quoting his father] "'Well, there was this big bunch of stuff. There was some tin foil and some wood and on some of the wood it had Japanese or Chinese figures.' Evidently it was some sort of inscription on part of this wood. Now I found a little piece of it but there was no writing on it." MAJOR JESSE MARCEL (Chief intelligence officer and air crash investigator at Roswell AFB; he and Sheridan Cavitt were first military people at the Brazel debris field; Marcel is a key witness in Roswell case): (F&B) "A lot of it had a lot of little members [I-beams] with symbols that we had to call them hieroglyphics because I could not interpret them, they could not be read, they were just symbols, something that meant something and they were not all the same. The members that this was painted on -- by the way, those symbols were pink and purple, lavender was actually what it was. And so these little members could not be broken, could not be burned. I even tried to burn that. It would not burn." (B&M; Interviews Feb., May, Dec. 1979 with Moore and Friedman) "There was all kinds of stuff -- Small beams about three-eighths or a half inch square with some sort of hieroglyphics on them that nobody could decipher. These looked something like balsa wood, and were of about the same weight, except that they were not wood at all. They were very hard, although flexible, and would not burn." (R&S2) [He also described I-beam-like structures. Though unbendable or breakable, they did not look metallic. According to Marcel] They were, as I recall, perhaps three-eighths of an inch by one quarter of an inch thick, and [came] in just about all sizes, none of them very long. [The biggest was] I would say, about three or four feet long [and] weightless. You couldn't even tell you had it in your hands. [He also noticed "indecipherable" two-color markings along the length of some of the I-beams] I've never seen anything like that myself ... I don't know if they were ever deciphered or not ... Along the length of some of those [I-beam-like members], they had little markings. Two-color markings ... like Chinese writing. Nothing you could make any sense out of. (Pflock, Bob Pratt interview, 12/8/79) [There were] "little members, small members, solid members that could not bend or break, but it didn't look like metal. It looked more like wood. They varied in size. They were, as I can recall, perhaps three-eights of an inch by one-quarter of an inch thick, and just about all sizes. None of them were very long. [The longest was] I would say about three feet long. [It was] weightless. You couldn't even tell you had it in you hands- -just like you handle balsa wood. ... It was a solid member, rectangular members, just like you get a square stick. Varied lengths, and along the length of some of those they had little markings, two-color markings as I recall--like Chinese writing to me. Nothing you could make any sense out of. ... All the solid members were that way [long and slender]. JESSE MARCEL JR (examined debris when his father awoke family at 2 a.m.) (F&B) "Many of the remnants, including I-beam pieces that were present, had strange hieroglyphic typewriting symbols across the inner surfaces, pink and purple, except that I don't think there were any animal figures present as there are in true Egyptian hieroglyphics." (B&M, interview April 1979) "Imprinted along the edge of some of the beam remnants there were hieroglyphic-type characters. I recently questioned my father about this, and he recalled seeing this characters also, and even described them as being a pink or purplish- pink color. Egyptian hieroglyphics would be a close visual description of the characters seen, except I don't think there were any animal figures present as there are in true Egyptian hieroglyphics." (U.M.): "This writing [on a short piece of I-beam] could be described as like hieroglyphics, Egyptian-type hieroglyphics, but not really. The symbols that were on the I-beams were more of a geometric-type configuration in various designs. It had a violet- purple type color and was actually an embossed part of the metal itself." (Pflock) "There was a series of geometric patterns embossed on the inner surface of a fragment shaped like an "I" beam strut. There were not recognizable animal figures such as seen in Egyptian hieroglyphics but the symbols resembled hieroglyphic type characters. . . . The color of the symbols was of a violet or purplish metallic hue. . . . I showed the above drawing to my mother who was also present and she concurs with the above description." [The drawing is of an I-beam about 18" long with two fractured ends with about 20 symbols along the inner surface, about 1/2" high.] (Plock, FUFOR, USAF, affidavit May 6, 1991) "...there were fragments of what appeared to be I-beams. On the inner surface of the I-beam, there appeared to be a type of writing. This writing was a purple-violet hue, and it had an embossed appearance. The figures were composed of curved geometric shapes. It had no resemblance to Russian, Japanese or any other foreign language. It resembled hieroglyphics, but it had no animal-like characters." (R&S2) [Jesse, Jr., described the writing as ] different geometric shapes, leaves, and circles. [...the symbols were shiny purple and they were small, less than a fingernail wide. There were many separate figures.] (KPFA) "...There were structural members that I felt looked like I- beams. I guess the major difference there was that on the inner surface of one of these I-beams there looked like there was some writing of some kind. The writing was a purplish-violet hue and was entirely within the member itself." [Although some of the material he handled could possibly be interpreted as fragments of balloon wreckage, Dr. Jesse Marcel Jr. says there are enough differences to raise questions about the Air Force explanation.] "Well, I talked to Lt. Kantor [sp?] and I told him that they did make a good case for this being parts of a weather, [that is] Mogul device, because there are some basic similarities there. Then again, there are some things that are totally different too. So I can't reconcile what I saw with what a Mogul device would have looked like. As they said, the beams were balsa wood. Well, I know what balsa wood looks like 'cause when I was a kid, I made stick models all the time. And that sure didn't look like balsa wood, unless it was sprayed with aluminum paint, or something like that, to make it look like metal. And you know it was extremely light. I do recall one symbol for sure that was on the beam and that was like a truncated pyramid with a ball on top of it. It was the only symbol I can know for sure was on this beam. The rest of it, you know, was just various geometric designs." 1st Lt. ROBERT SHIRKEY (Shirkey saw a B-29 being loaded with debris picked up by Marcel & Cavitt at the debris field. The plane later took Marcel to Ft. Worth to meet Gen. Ramey.) (Pflock, FUFOR, affidavit, 5/30/91) "I also saw what was described by another witness as an I-beam and markings." (Pflock) According to Shirkey, Marcel and another member of the group carried open cardboard boxes filled with debris, including ... an "I- beam" about two feet long with peculiar markings on it. CHARLES SCHMID (Claims to have handled pieces of the debris on location in the desert) (VIDEO1) "There was some material that looked like wood, which I don't know if it was or not. It was broke, but it wasn't broke square, it was broke like a spear, off at an angle. It was about an inch thick, or an inch square [??, garbled], let's put it that-a-way. It had some writing that looked like flowers on just one side. It had pink petals, centered like a flower [?? partially garbled], and green mixed in, but you couldn't make no leaves out of it, or nothing like that. But it was green in between these flowers on that one side of this piece of wood." WALT WHITMORE JR. [Walt Whitmore Jr was the son of the owner of Roswell radio station KGFL. Mac Brazel probably stayed at the Whitmore house the night of Marcel and Cavitt's visit to the debris field.] (F&B) "[There were] some small beams that appeared to be either wood or wood-like, had a sort of writing on it which looked like numbers which had either been added or multiplied [in columns]." BESSIE BRAZEL SCHREIBER (Mac Brazel's daughter, 14 years old at the time of the incident) (Pflock, USAF, affidavit 9/22/93) "Sticks, like kite sticks, were attached to some of the pieces [of foil-rubber like material] with a whitish tape." IRVING NEWTON USAF (Ret), weather officer assigned to Fort Worth, where Roswell debris was sent. He was called in to identify debris at a press conference called by Gen. Ramey. Some witnesses, including Marcel and Ramey's aide Col. Thomas Dubose (later General), say the real debris was swapped with a weather balloon, and that Newton only saw the alleged swapped weather balloon material.) (USAF, from affidavit, Attach. 30, 1994): "...while I was examining the debris, Major Marcel was picking up pieces of the target sticks and trying to convince me that some notations on the sticks were alien writings. There were figures on the sticks, lavender or pink in color, appeared to be weather faded markings, with no rhyme or reason (sic). He did not convince me that these were alien writings." (R&S2, 1989 interview) "The major [Newton didn't know Marcel] kept pointing to portions of the balloon to ask if I thought it would be found on a regular balloon." [Newton said he had the impression the major was trying to save face and not appear to be a fool who couldn't tell the difference between a normal balloon and something from outer space.] CPT. SHERIDAN CAVITT (Cavitt was in the Counter Intelligence Corp at Roswell, was on Jesse Marcel's staff, and was on Brazel's debris field with Marcel on July 7, 1947 when they first went to investigate it, and returned the following day with assistant CICman, Louis Rickett.) (USAF) He stated ... that the material he recovered consisted of a reflective sort of material like aluminum foil, and some thin, bamboo-like sticks. He thought at the time, and continued to do so today, that what he found was a weather balloon... ALBERT BRUCE COLLINS (Interviewed shortly before his death in 1990 by Tim Cooper, Collins claimed to be a metallurgist who worked for the University of California, Berkeley and Occidental College for the Manhattan Project from 1942 to the late fifties, allegedly developing alloys used for electro-magnetic propagation and magnetic propulsion. He further claims to have seen the Roswell craft in 1947 in Berkeley on a flatbed truck being backed into a warehouse and then worked on analyzing debris fragments. None of this story has been verified.) (SR#6) [Collins heard rumors about] "unusual 'metal-like wood' being tested and results fed into a computer at Berkeley. "RELUCTANT" (Karl Pflock's mystery witness, who claims to have found balloon debris and still have it, but refuses to identify himself, show the debris to anyone, and whose debris descriptions don't match anybody elses. Credibility???) (Pflock) "Some pieces [of foiled cloth material] were glued to balsa wood sticks, and some of them had glue on the cloth side with bits of balsa still stuck to it. . . . None of the sticks was more than a foot or so long." 2. FLEXIBLE, FOIL-LIKE MATERIAL, WITH MEMORY WILLIAM BRAZEL JR.: (F&B) "One of the pieces looked like] something on the order of tinfoil, except that [it] wouldn't tear.... You could wrinkle it and lay it back down and it immediately resumed its original shape... quite pliable, but you couldn't crease or bend it like ordinary metal. Almost like a plastic, but definitely metallic. Dad once said that the Army had once told him it was not anything made by us." "...a little piece of -- it wasn't tinfoil, it wasn't lead foil -- a piece about the size of my finger. ...The only reason I noticed the tinfoil (I'm gonna call it tinfoil), I picked this stuff up and put it in my chaps pocket. Might be two or three days or a week before I took it out and put it in a cigar box. I happened to notice when I put that piece of foil in that box, and the damn thing just started unfolding and just flattened out. Then I got to playing with it. I'd fold it, crease it, lay it down and it'd unfold. It's kinda weird. I couldn't tear it. The color was in between tinfoil and lead foil, about the [thickness] of lead foil." (B&M) "There were several bits of metal-like substance, something on the order of tinfoil, except that this stuff wouldn't tear and was actually a bit darker in color than tinfoil -- more like lead foil, except very thin and extremely lightweight. The odd thing about this foil was that you could wrinkle it and lay it back down and it immediately resumed its original shape. It was quite pliable, yet you couldn't crease or bend it like ordinary metal. It was almost more like a plastic of some sort except that it was definitely metallic in nature. I don't know what it was, but I do know that Dad once said that the Army had told him that they had definitely established it wasn't anything made by us." (R&S1) "The only reason I noticed the tin foil was that I picked this stuff up and put it in my chaps pocket. Like I said, I had it in here two, three days, and when I took it out and put it in the box and I happened to notice that when I put that piece of foil in the box it started unfolding and flattened out. Then I got to playing with it. I would fold it or crease it and lay it down and watch it. It was kind of weird. The piece I found was a jagged piece. I couldn't tear it. Hell, tin foil or lead foil is easy but I couldn't tear it. I didn't take pliers or anything. I just used my fingers. I didn't try to cut it with my knife. The color was consistent through the pieces I found. It was a dull color [and the same on both sides]. It was about the gauge of lead foil. Thicker than tin foil. It was pliable. Real pliable. I would bend it over and crease it and if you straighten back up, there would be a crinkle in it. Nothing. It would flatten out and it was just as smooth as ever. Not a crinkle or anything in it. [It didn't make a sound.] ...As best as I can remember, it was smooth. I wasn't intrigued with any part of it until I discovered the foil and what it would do. Then I got to looking at the rest of it." WALT WHITMORE JR. (F&B) "[It was] very much like lead foil in appearance but could not be torn or cut at all. Extremely light in weight." (B&M) ...He did see some of the wreckage brought into town by the rancher. His description was that it consisted mostly of a very thin but extremely tough metallic foil-like substance. ...He added that the largest piece of material that he saw was about four or five inches square, and that it was very much like lead foil in appearance but could not be torn or cut at all. It was extremely light in weight. SGT. ROBERT SMITH: [Robert Smith was a member of the First Air Transport Unit, which operated Douglas C-54 Skymaster four-engine cargo planes out of the Roswell AAF.] (F&B, interviewed 1991) "All I saw was a little piece of material. You could crumple it up, let it come out. You couldn't crease it. One of our people put it in his pocket. The piece of debris I saw was two to three inches square. It was jagged. When you crumpled it up, it then laid back out. And when it did, it kind of crackled, making a sound like cellophane. It crackled when it was let out. There were no creases. ...The sergeant who had the piece of material said [it was like] the material in the crates." (Pflock, FUFOR, affidavit 10/10/91) "All I saw was a little piece of material. The piece of debris I saw was two-to-three inches square. It was jagged. When you crumpled it up, it then laid back out; and when it did, it kind of crackled, making a sound like cellophane, and it crackled when it was let out. There were no creases. (R&S1) [Smith and a couple of the other sergeants discussed the nature of the cargo as they were loading the aircraft.] "We were talking about what was in the crates and so forth and he (another of the NCOs) said, 'oh do you remember the story about the UFO? Or rather the flying saucer.' That was what we called them back then. We thought he was joking, but he let us feel a piece and stuck it back into his pocket. Afterwards we got to talking a little bit more about it and he said he'd been out there helping clean this up. He didn't think taking a little piece like that would matter. It was just a little piece of metal or foil or whatever it was. Just small enough to be slipped into a pocket. I think he just picked it up for a souvenir. It was foil-like, but it was stiffer than foil that we have now. In fact, being a sheet metal man, it kind of intrigued me, being that you could crumple it and it would flatten back out again without any wrinkles showing up in it. Of course we didn't get to look at it too close because it was supposed to be top secret." CHARLES SCHMID (VIDEO1) "There was some material that looked just like tinfoil, but quite strong. You could writhe it up in your hand and it would just straighten out, no kinks, no nothing, it would just straighten out by itself." JIM RAGSDALE (Allegedly Ragsdale was at the main saucer crash site just before the military arrived) (R&S2) [describing some of the pieces picked up at the site] "You could take that stuff and wad it up and it would straighten itself out. [One of the pieces] You could bend it in any form, and it would stay. It wouldn't straighten out." FRANKIE DWYER ROWE (Frankie Rowe, age 12 in 1947, is the daughter of Roswell fireman, Dan Dwyer, who allegedly was at the main saucer crash site with other members of the fire department and members of the Roswell police department. The foil she saw was allegedly later shown at the Roswell fire station to some of the firemen and herself by a state trooper.) (R&S2) Frankie Rowe talked of foil that, when crumpled into a ball, would unfold itself with a fluid motion. (R&S2, Paperback edition, affidavit 11/22/93): "In early July 1947, I was in the fire house waiting for my father to take me home. A State Trooper arrived and displayed a piece of metallic debris that he said he'd picked up on the crash site. It was a dull gray and about the thickness of aluminum foil. When wadded into a ball, it would unfold itself. The fire fighters were unable to cut or burn it." (VIDEO2) [Referring to state trooper] "And he pulled his hand out of his pocket and he had a piece of the material wadded up in his hand in a little tiny ball. When he dropped it on the table it spread out like it was liquid or quicksilver, and there was not one wrinkle in that. I do remember that we all got to touch it, we all got to pick it up. You could bend it, it made no crinkle, no noise. It was very shiny, very silvery color, maybe about a foot square. I have no idea what happened to it." (Pflock) [As she waited, a state police officer came in and said he wanted to show the firemen something.] "He took his hand out of his pocket and he dropped what he had in his fist on the table. He said it was something he picked up out at the crash site. It looked like quicksilver when it was on the table, but you could wad it up. [It was] a little larger than . . . [his] hand. It had jagged edges" [and it was a dull grayish-silver color.] "You couldn't feel it in your hand. It was so thin that it felt like holding a hair . . . It wasn't anything you'd ever seen before. It flowed like quicksilver when you laid it on the table. [The firemen and the trooper] tried to tear it, cut it and burn it. It wadded up into nothing. The state cop said he'd gotten away with just this one small piece, and he said he didn't know how long he'd be able to keep it, if the military found out." HELEN DWYER CAHILL (Older sister of Frankie Rowe. She was married and not living in Roswell in 1947.) (R&S2, Paperback edition, affidavit 11/22/93): "My sister, Frankie, told me about her experiences sometime in the early 1960s. Frankie told me about sitting around the table in 1947 and being threatened. My sister also mentioned seeing the material that 'ran like water.'" M. SGT. LEWIS (BILL) RICKETT [Bill Rickett was a Counter Intelligence Corps officer based in Roswell, part of Jesse Marcel's staff, and an assistant to CICman Sheridan Cavitt. He had an opportunity to examine some of the wreckage recovered from the Foster (Mac Brazel's)Ranch. He escorted Dr Lincoln LaPaz, a meteor expert from the New Mexico Institute of Meteoritics, on a tour of the crash site and the surrounding area in September, 1947, in an attempt to reconstruct the speed and trajectory of the crash object.] (R&S1) Rickett said the foil was dull, like the back side of aluminum foil, and because it didn't reflect the sun, it was hard to see. (F&B) "[The material] was very strong and very light. You could bend it but couldn't crease it. As far as I know, no one ever figured out what it was made of...." "...LaPaz wanted to fly over the area, and this was arranged. He found one other spot where he felt this thing had touched down and then taken off again. The sand at this spot had been turned into a glass-like substance. We collected a boxful of samples of this material. As I recall, there were some metal samples here, too, of that same sort of thin foil stuff. LaPaz sent this box off somewhere for study; I don't know or recall where, but I never saw it again. This place was some miles from the other one." BESSIE BRAZEL SCHREIBER (F&B) "[The material resembled] a sort of aluminum-like foil. ...[There was also] a piece of something made out of the same metal- like foil that looked like a pipe sleeve. About four inches across and equally long, with a flange on one end." (Pflock, FUFOR, USAF, from affidavit, 9/22/93): "...The pieces were small, the largest I remember measuring about the same as the diameter of a basketball. Most of it was a kind of double-sided material, foil-like on one side and rubber-like on the other. Both sides were grayish-silver in color, the foil more silvery than the rubber. ...The foil-rubber material could not be torn like ordinary aluminum foil can be torn..." LORRETA PROCTOR: (Plock, FUFOR, from affidavit 5/5/91): " ...'Mac' [W. Brazel] said the other material on the property looked like aluminum foil. It was very flexible and wouldn't crush or burn." (VIDEO1) "He said the stuff that looked kind of like aluminum foil, he said you'd crumple it up and then it would straighten out, it wouldn't stay creased, it would just open out. But he couldn't get any of it off to bring up. He said he couldn't cut it or anything." (R&S1) "He was telling us about more of the other material that was so lightweight and that was crinkled up and then would fold out." MARIAN STRICKLAND (friend and neighbor of Mac Brazel) (VIDEO1) "The time that he brought the sample of what he had picked up, he was at the corral. My daughter and two sons and husband were at the corral, and they saw it. My daughter says that it could be crumpled up and straighten right back out." SALLY STRICKLAND TADOLINI (daughter of Marian Strickland, age 9 in 1947) (Pflock, FUFOR from affidavit 9/27/93): "What Bill showed us was a piece of what I still think as fabric. It was something like aluminum foil, something like satin, something like well-tanned leather in its toughness, yet was not precisely like any one of those materials. While I do not recall this with certainty, I think the fabric measured about four by eight to ten inches. Its edges, where were smooth, were not exactly parallel, and its shape was roughly trapezoidal. It was about the thickness of a very fine kidskin glove leather and a dull metallic grayish silver, one side slightly darker than the other. I do not remember it having any design or embossing on it. Bill passed it around, and we all felt it. I did a lot of sewing, so the feel made a great impression on me. It felt like no fabric I have touched before or since. It was very silky or satiny, with the same texture on both sides. Yet when I crumpled it in my hands, the feel was like that you notice when you crumple a leather glove in your hand. When it was released, it sprang back into its original shape, quickly flattening out with no wrinkles. I did this several times, as did the others. I remember some of the others stretching it between their hands and "popping" it, but I do not think anyone tried to cut or tear it." (R&S2) Bill Brazel showed that small piece of foil to others. ... Brazel showed her [Tadolini] the foil, and she has the impression that it was dull in color, maybe gray, and that it was a small piece. Brazel, according to her, balled it up in his hand and then opened his hand, letting it return to its original shape. She thought it was stiff, like aluminum foil, but that it did not seem metallic. MAJOR ELLIS BOLDRA (Boldra, an engineer, allegedly found samples of the crash debris in a safe in the Roswell AFB engineering department in 1952. Testimony is second hand from son and friends.) (R&S2 description) When crumpled, it [a thin metal sample] quickly returned to its original shape. JESSE MARCEL JR. (B&M) "The material was foil-like stuff, very thin, metallic-like but not metal, and very tough." (R&S2) Marcel Jr. described the foil as resembling "lead foil." (KPFA) "Most of the debris consisted of metal foil. It was kind of like a dull aluminum on each surface." (Pflock, also FUFOR, affidavit, May 6, 1991) "Most of the debris looked like pieces of an aircraft airframe and its skin. . . . [There was] a thick, foil-like metallic gray substance." CHARLES B. MOORE (On-scene Mogul Project Head Engineer. Moore never saw the actual crash debris.) (USAF description) [The radar reflectors] were made up of aluminum "foil" or foil-backed paper, balsa wood beams that were coated in an "Elmer's-type glue to enhance their durability... (B&M, interview 1980) C.B. Moore's description of a Rawin target device, of which he had seen and handled many, was also important in that it strongly reinforced the belief that anyone finding such "flimsy foil and balsa-wood material" would have had great difficulty in confusing it with anything out of the ordinary. W/O IRVING NEWTON (Newton was the weather officer called in to identify the crash debris at Gen. Ramey's press conference on July 8, 1947. Several people, including Marcel and Ramey's chief of staff Gen. Thomas Dubose, say Newton never saw the real crash debris, which allegedly was swapped with a tattered weather balloon and Rawin foil radar target) (B&M, questioning Newton in July 1979 Interview) Q. But wouldn't the people at Roswell have been able to identify a balloon on their own? A. They certainly should have. It was a regular Rawin sonde. They must have seen hundreds of them. Q. Can you describe the fabric? Was it easy to tear? A. Certainly. You would have to be careful not to tear it. The metal involved was like an extremely thin Alcoa wrap. It was very flimsy. JASON KELLAHIN (Kellahin was an Associated Press reporter in Albuquerque in 1947 and was ordered to Roswell to interview rancher Mac Brazel following the release of the Army Air Force press release about the capture of a flying disc. On his way to Roswell, he claims to have taken a detour to Brazel's ranch, interviewed Brazel, and seen balloon debris. For various reasons, including impossible time restraints, there is good reason to doubt that he ever made it there.) (Pflock, affidavit 9/20/93) "There was quite a lot of debris on the site -- pieces of silver colored fabric, perhaps aluminized cloth. Some of the pieces had sticks attached to them. I thought they might be the remains of a high-altitude balloon package, but I did not see anything, pieces of rubber or the like, that looked like it could have been part of the balloon itself. The way the material was distributed, it looked as though whatever it was from came apart as it moved along through the air. "RELUCTANT" (Pflock) "Most of what I found was white, linen-like cloth with reflective tinfoil attached to one side. . . . Most of the pieces were no larger than four or five inches on a side, although I found one or two about the size of a sheet of typing paper . . .One of the larger pieces of foiled cloth, measuring about 8 by 12 inches, had writing on the cloth side. Someone had used a pencil to do some figuring, arithmetic. There were no words, only numbers. I did not see any writing or marking on any of the other debris. I collected some of the foiled cloth material, including the piece with the writing on it, and a few of the sticks, filled a large, 9 by 12, envelope with it . . . I still have the material I collected on the ranch site in July 1947 . . . in a safe and secure place." 3. RIGID METAL, OTHER METAL: MAJOR JESSE MARCEL (R&S2) "We [Cavitt and himself] found some metal, small bits of metal. ... I wanted to see some of the stuff burn, but all I had was a cigarette lighter ... I lit the cigarette lighter to some of this stuff and it didn't burn." (R&S1, interviewed by Leonard Stringfield) "The metal fragments varied in size up to six inches in length, but were the thickness of tinfoil. The fragments were unusual because they were of great strength. They could not be bent or broken, no matter what pressure we applied by hand." (F&B) "But something that is more astounding is that the piece of metal that we brought back was so thin, just like the tinfoil in a pack of cigarette paper. I didn't pay too much attention to that at first, until one of the GIs came to me and said, "You know the metal that was in there? I tried to bend that stuff and it won't bend. I even tried it with a sledge hammer. You can't make a dent on it." I didn't go back to look at it myself again, because we were busy in the office and I had quite a bit of work to do. I am quite sure that this young fellow would not have lied to me about that, because he was a very truthful, very honest guy, so I accepted his word for that. So, beyond that, I didn't actually see him hit the matter with a sledge hammer, but he said, 'It's definite that it cannot be bent and it's so light that it doesn't weigh anything.' And that was true of all the material that was brought up. It was so light that it weighed practically nothing." "This particular piece of metal was, I would say, about two feet long and perhaps a foot wide. See, that stuff weighs nothing, it's so thin, it isn't any thicker than the tinfoil in a pack of cigarettes. So I tried to bend the stuff, it wouldn't bend. We even tried making a dent in it with a 16-pound sledge hammer, and there was still no dent in it. I didn't have the time to go out there and find out more about it, because I had so much other work to do that I just let it go. It's still a mystery to me as to what the whole thing was. Like I said before, I knew quite a bit about the material used in the air, but it was nothing I had seen before. And as of now, I still don't know what it was." (B&M) " ...The pieces of metal that we brought back were so thin, just like the tinfoil in a pack of cigarettes. I didn't pay too much attention to that at first, until one of the boys came to me and said: 'You know that metal that was in there? I tried to bend the stuff and it won't bend. I even tried it with a sledgehammer. You can't make a dent in it.' ...This particular piece of metal was about two feet long and maybe a foot wide. It was so light it weighed practically nothing, that was true of all the material that was brought up, it weighed practically nothing ... it was so thin. So I tried to bend the stuff. We did all we could to bend it. It would not bend and you could not tear it or cut it either. We even tried making a dent in it with a sixteen-pound sledgehammer, and there was still no dent in it... It's still a mystery to me what the whole thing was. Now by bend, I mean crease. It was possible to flex this stuff back and forth, even to wrinkle it, but you could not put a crease in it that would stay, nor could you dent it at all. I would almost have to describe it as a metal with plastic properties." WALTER HAUT (Haut was the Public Information Officer at Roswell AFB and released the flying disc story to the press dictated to him by Commanding Officer Blanchard.) (R&S1) "I've got to base what I'm going to say on what Jess Marcel told me. It was something that he had never seen and didn't believe that it was of this planet. I trusted him on his knowledge. He felt that it was something that was not made or mined or built or manufactured anywhere on this planet. He was explaining things (to me) . . . a little, thin, paper-thin piece of foil that you couldn't burn and couldn't bend and couldn't cut . . . at the time, (we thought) oh Christ, weather balloon, that's good." MAJ.-GENERAL ARTHUR EXON [Exon was stationed at Wright Field at the time of the crash. From 1964-69 he was commanding officer of Wright-Patterson AFB. He never saw the actual crash material.] (R&S2) "We heard the material was coming to Wright Field. [Testing was done in the various labs.] Everything from chemical analysis, stress tests, compression tests, flexing. It was brought into our material evaluation labs. I don't know how it arrived, but the boys who tested it said it was very unusual." "[Some of it] could be easily ripped or changed... There were other parts of it that were very thin but awfully strong and couldn't be dented with heavy hammers...It was flexible to a degree... Some of it was flimsy and was tougher than hell, and the other was almost like foil but strong. It had them pretty puzzled. ...They knew they had something new in their hands. The metal and material was unknown to anyone I talked to. Whatever they found, I never heard what the results were. A couple of guys thought it might be Russian, but the overall consensus was that the pieces were from space. ...Roswell was the recovery of a craft from space." CHARLES SCHMID (VIDEO1) " ...there was pieces of material that looked like aluminum, real light stuff, but strong. It was about 16 inches by 2 1/2 inches and maybe a quarter inch thick. You couldn't bend it or twist it or do anything with it. Even by putting it up against a rock and jumping up and down, you could not bend it." M. SGT. LEWIS (BILL) RICKETT (R&S1) One man set a piece on the ground and jumped on it, trying to dent or bend it, and failed. "There was a slightly curved piece of metal, real light. It was about six inches by twelve or fourteen inches. Very light. I crouched down and tried to snap it. My boss [Cavitt] laughs and said, 'Smart guy. He's trying to do what we couldn't do.' I asked, 'what in the hell is this stuff made out of?' It didn't feel like plastic and I never saw a piece of metal this thin that you couldn't break." "This was the strangest material we had ever seen ... there was talk about it not being from Earth. ... A year later I was talking to Joe Wirth, a CIC officer from Andrews Air Force Base in Washington D.C. I asked what they had found out about the stuff from Roswell. He told me that they still didn't know what it was and that their metal experts still couldn't cut it." The edges of it were not jagged like those exposed after an explosion but were straight and were sharp. Some of the edges curved back on themselves. Rickett thought the object might have disintegrated once it had touched down. (R&S2, describing Rickett on the debris field) Rickett walked the field with Cpt. Sheridan Cavitt. Rickett found one piece that was about two feet square and crouched to pick it up. It was slightly curved, but the only way he could tell that was to place it on something that was flat. He then locked it against his knee and used his arm to try to bend it. According to Rickett, it was very thin and very lightweight. Rickett said the metal wasn't plastic, and that it didn't feel like plastic, but he had never seen a piece of metal that thin that couldn't be bent. ALBERT BRUCE COLLINS (Allegedly analyzed debris at Berkeley in 1947) (SR#6) "As best as I can recall, it was a dull finish metal on the one side like aluminum and very shiny on the other side. It was thin and very light. It could be flexed but not dented on impact. We could not separate its metals through any assay we knew of. It was fire and cold resistant. Could not be cut or punctured. Some pieces were big with slight curvature to them. Other pieces were very small. One piece was very big and about one inch thick. It was jagged, like it had been part of a strucure that had been hit by high explosives. It had burn marks but no scratches, which was very odd. You could fold it and it would extend back to its original shape." CPT. SHERIDAN CAVITT (USAF) He stated ... that the material he recovered consisted of a reflective sort of material like aluminum foil . . . (USAF, 1994 interview) [Responding to his wife, Mary, when she interjects during his interview that they both saw crash material when they later visited Jesse Marcel's home.] "I remember. He could have had some there at the house and it was, it looked like a foil of some sort, and he could have tried to burn it and it didn't burn very well. I don't know." MAJOR ELLIS BOLDRA (R&S2 description, based on interviews with Boldra's son and friends) Boldra subjected the sample to a number of tests. It was thin, incredibly strong, and dissipated heat in some manner. Boldra used an acetylene torch on the material, which didn't melt and barely got warm. It didn't glow when heated, and once the flame was removed, it could be handled in seconds. Boldra tried to cut it with a variety of tools and failed. No one remembers if he tried to drill through it. One of Boldra's friends said that it wasn't any type of metal that he could identify. JOHN KROMSCHROEDER: [ John Kromschroeder is a dentist and a retired military officer. He was a friend of Pappy Henderson, famous WWII pilot who flew some of the debris out of Roswell. In 1977, Henderson told him that in 1947 he had transported wreckage and alien bodies. About a year later, Henderson showed him a piece of metal he had taken from the collection of wreckage. Allegedly, this is one of the pieces of metal found by Major Ellis Boldra in a Roswell safe. Kromschroeder and Henderson shared an interest in metallurgy.] (F&B, interviewed in 1990) "I gave it a good, thorough looking-at and decided it was an alloy we are not familiar with. Gray, lustrous metal resembling aluminum, lighter in weight and much stiffer. [We couldn't] bend it. Edges sharp and jagged." (R&S2, summarizing Kromschroeder's description) The metal, according to Kromschroeder, was gray and resembled aluminum but was harder and stiffer. He couldn't bend it but had to be careful because the edges were sharp. He said that it didn't seem to have a crystalline structure, and based that on the fracturing of it. It hadn't been torn. ... Kromschroeder said he'd never seen anything like it. Kromshroeder said that Henderson told him that the metal was part of the lighter material lining the interior of the craft. He said that when properly energized, it produced perfect illumination. It cast a soft light with no shadows. That piece of debris apparently came from Major Ellis Boldra. JOHN G. TIFFANY (Tiffany's father was stationed at Wright Field. His unit was sent to Texas where they picked up metallic debris and a large cylinder that reminded them of a giant thermos bottle) (R&S2, describing the metal) Tiffany said the metal was very lightweight and very tough. It had a smooth glasslike surface, and everything the flight crew did to it to mark it, bend it, or break it failed. But what really bothered the flight crew was the unusual cylinder and its unknown contents. After the flight, the crew felt that they couldn't get clean. They could not "get over handling something that foreign." 1st Lt. ROBERT SHIRKEY (Shirkey saw a B-29 being loaded with debris picked up by Marcel & Cavitt at the debris field. The plane later took Marcel to Ft. Worth to meet Gen. Ramey.) (F&B) "...Saw them carrying pieces of metal. They had one piece that was eighteen by twenty-four inches, brushed stainless steel in color." (Pflock, FUFOR, affidavit 4/30/91) [They were] "...carrying parts of what I heard was the crashed flying saucer. At this time, I asked Col Blanchard to turn sideways so I could see what was going on. I saw them carrying what appeared to be pieces of metal; there was one piece that was 18 x 24 inches, brushed stainless steel in color. I also saw what was described by another witness as an I-beam and markings." GLENN DENNIS (Dennis was the Roswell mortician and provided mortuary services for the Roswell Army Air Field.) (Pflock, FUFOR, affidavit 8/7/91) "Although I was a civilian, I usually had free access on the base because they knew me. I drove the ambulance around to the back of the base infirmary and parked it next to another ambulance. The door was open and inside I saw some wreckage. There were several pieces which looked like the bottom of a canoe, about three feet in length. It resembled stainless steel with a purple hue, as if it had been exposed to high temperature. There was some strange-looking writing on the material resembling Egyptian hieroglyphics. Also, there were two MPs present." BESSIE BRAZEL SCHREIBER (F&B) " ...[There was also] a piece of something made out of the same metal-like foil that looked like a pipe sleeve. About four inches across and equally long, with a flange on one end." CHARLES B. MOORE (SKEP) Moore says Flight 4 carried several 3-inch-diameter aluminum rings for assisting with launching the balloon train, as well as larger rings used to hold sonobuoys. (Moore claims this is consistent with Schreiber's "pipe sleeve/flange" description above). (USAF) The material and a "black box" described by Cavitt, was, in Moore's opinion, most probably from Flight 4, a "service flight" that included a cylindrical metal sonobuoy and portions of a weather instrument housed in a box, which was unlike typical weather radiosondes which were made of cardboard. (SKEP) A black box was described in the wreckage. Moore says the NYU crew routinely packed batteries for the acoustic equipment in black boxes. 4. TAPE-LIKE MATERIAL (AND "HIEROGLYPHICS", FLOWER PATTERNS) BESSIE BRAZEL SCHREIBER: (B&M) "Some of the metal-foil pieces had a sort of tape stuck to them, and when these were held to the light they showed what looked like pastel flowers or designs. Even though the stuff looked like tape, it would not be peeled off or removed at all. It was very light in weight, but there sure was a lot of it." (F&B) "Some of [the aluminum foil-like] pieces had a sort of tape stuck to them. Even though the stuff looked like tape, it could not be peeled off or removed at all. Some of these pieces had something like numbers and lettering on them, but there were no words we were able to make out. The figures were written out like you would write numbers in columns, but they didn't look like the numbers we use at all." (Pflock, USAF, from affidavit 9/22/93): "...Sticks, like kite sticks, were attached to some of the pieces with a whitish tape. The tape was about two or three inches wide and had flower-like designs on it. The 'flowers' were faint, a variety of pastel colors, and reminded me of Japanese paintings in which the flowers are not all connected. I do not recall any other ... markings." LORETTA PROCTOR: (Pflock, FUFOR, from affidavit 5/5/91) "..There was also something he [Mac Brazel] described as tape which had printing on it. The color of the printing was a kind of purple. He said it wasn't Japanese writing; from the way he described it, it sounded like it resembled hieroglyphics." (R&S1): "He said there was more stuff there, like a tape that had some sort of figures on it." ROSWELL DAILY RECORD Story, 7/10/47, information provided by Mac Brazel (Note: Brazel had been under detainment by the military for 2 days when he gave this information to the paper) Quoted in USAF Report. "...Considerable scotch tape and some tape with flowers printed upon it had been used in the construction." COL. ALBERT TRAKOWSKI (Trakowski was formerly the top-secret Control Officer for Project Mogul. He never saw the actual crash material.) (USAF description) He further related that many of the original radar targets that were produced around the end of World War II were fabricated by toy or novelty companies using a purplish-pink tape with flower and heart symbols on it. CHARLES B. MOORE (Moore was the head engineer with Project Mogul. He never saw the actual crash material.) (USAF description) Some of the early developmental radar targets were manufactured by a toy or novelty company. These targets were made up of ...acetate and/or cloth reinforcing tape... Some of the targets were also assembled with purplish-pink tape with symbols on it. (Pflock description) "The manufacurer used "sticky tape" to reinforce the structure, lapping it over the struts and securing it to both sides of the reflector foil. ... This tape was clear or whitish, about two inches wide. It had pink and purple flower-like figures on it. Charles Moore remembers these figures as being "embossed on the back of the tape" and not very bright in color but having "very sharp edges, sharply incised." 1st-LT. JAMES McANDREW (McAndrew was chief researcher for the Air Force on the Roswell report.) (KPFA) "The big thing is that all of the material that all these witnesses described, every one of them is contained on that Mogul balloon. The hieroglyphics [allegedly only on the tape] was, as we said, traced back to a toy manufacturer" JESSE MARCEL JR. (KPFA) [The Air Force claims that the strange writing on metal fragments that Marcel and others saw was nothing more than transparent tape, with a flowery pattern, used to hold balsa wood sticks to the balloon assembly. Marcel disagrees.] "It certainly didn't look like tape. I didn't see anything that looked like tape, to my recollection. I've seen drawings of the tape they're talking about. Again the writing, as I recall, was entirely inside, or at least along the surface of one of those beams, and it didn't extend beyond it, like the drawings that they showed. It [the writing on the beam] was not on tape." 5. PARCHMENT LIKE MATERIAL or PAPER or CLOTH or THIN, DARK PLASTIC- LIKE MATERIAL (and "HIEROGLYPHICS") MAJOR JESSE MARCEL (F&B) "One thing that impressed me about the debris that we were referring to is the fact that a lot of it looked like parchment. ...the parchment we had [would not burn] [like the I-beams just previously mentioned which also would not burn]." (B&M) "There was a great deal of an unusual parchment-like substance which was brown in color and extremely strong... One thing that impressed me about the debris was the fact that a lot of it looked like parchment. It had little numbers with symbols that we had to call hieroglyphics because I could not understand them. They could not be read, they were just like symbols, something that meant something, and they were not all the same, but the same general pattern, I would say. They were pink and purple. They looked like they were painted on. These little numbers could not be broken, could not be burned. I even took my cigarette lighter and tried to burn the material we found that resembled parchment and balsa, but it would not burn -- wouldn't even smoke." JESSE MARCEL JR. (B&M) "[There was] a quantity of black plastic material which looked organic in nature. ... There were ... bits of black, brittle residue that looked like plastic that had either melted or burned." (Pflock, FUFOR, affidavit May 6, 1991) "[There was] a brittle, brownish-black plastic-like material, like Bakelite." (Pflock) "Some of the debris was not metallic but more like pieces of black plastic fragments thicker than the metallic skin." (R&S2 description) Besides the lead foil and I-beams, Jesse, Jr., described some small, black, plastic-like material thicker than the foil and much stronger. Years later he said that it resembled Bakelite. (KPFA) "...There was some black, plastic material that I thought was like Bakelite that was pretty well shattered also." 1st-LT. JAMES McANDREW (Speaking for the Air Force Report) (KPFA) "Jesse Marcel Jr. described a material like Bakelite, he said a black plastic. Well, that was the ballast tubes on the balloon." (USAF, Atch 32) The balloon that was found on the Foster Ranch consisted of as many as 23 350 gram balloons spaced at 20 foot intervals, several radar targets (3 to 5), plastic ballast tubes, parchment parachutes, a black "cutoff" box containing portions of a weather instrument and a sonabuoy. [Note: The original schematic diagram of Mogul balloon #5, shown in Pflock, is clearly labeled with silk, not "parchment" parachutes.] BESSIE BRAZEL SCHREIBER (F&B) "[There was also] what appeared to be pieces of heavily waxed paper." (B&M) "There was what appeared to be pieces of heavily waxed paper and a sort of aluminum-like foil. Some of these pieces had something like numbers and lettering on them, but there were no words that we were able to make out. ...It looked like numbers mostly, as least I assumed them to be numbers. They were written out like you would write numbers in columns to do an addition problem. But they didn't look like the numbers we use at all. What gave me the idea they were numbers, I guess, was the way they were all ranged out in columns." "RELUCTANT" (Pflock) "Most of what I found was white, linen-like cloth with reflective tinfoil attached to one side. . . .One of the larger pieces of foiled cloth, measuring about 8 by 12 inches, had writing on the cloth side. Someone had used a pencil to do some figuring, arithmetic. There were no words, only numbers. I did not see any writing or marking on any of the other debris." FLOYD PROCTOR (Husband of Loretta Proctor, neighbor of Mac Brazel. Brazel came to the Proctor house before going to the authorities with his discovery. ) (B&M, interviewed June 1979) "[Brazel described it as] the strangest stuff he had ever seen. ...He described the stuff as being very odd. He said whatever the junk was, it had designs on it that reminded him of Chinese and Japanese designs. It wasn't paper because he couldn't cut it with his knife, and the metal was different from anything he had ever seen. He said the designs looked like the kind of stuff you would find on firecracker wrappers ... some sort of figures all done up in pastels, but not writing like we would do it. ... He was in a talkative mood, which was rare for him, and just wouldn't shut up about it. ... he really tried to get us to go down there and look at it." LORRAINE FERGUSON (Lorraine Ferguson was Mac Brazel's older sister) (B&M, interviewed June, 1979) "Whatever he found it was all in pieces and some of it had some kind of unusual writing on it -- Mac said it was like the kind of stuff you find all over Japanese and Chinese firecrackers; not really writing, just wiggles and such. Of course, he couldn't read it and neither could anybody else as far as I heard ... Everybody up there by the ranch knew about it, but as far as I know, nobody ever identified what it was or what its purpose might have been. At first they called it a weather balloon, but of course it wasn't that ..." ROSWELL DAILY RECORD, 7/9/47, information provided by Mac Brazel on evening of 7/8/47 (Note: Brazel had been under detainment by the military for the day when he gave this information to the paper. According to family and friends, he was detained and interrogated for another week before being released.) Quoted in USAF Report. He claimed that he and his son, Vernon, found the material on June 14, 1947, when they "came upon a large area of bright wreckage made up of rubber strips, tinfoil, a rather tough paper, and sticks." He picked up some of the debris on July 4... ... at least one paper fin had been glued onto some of the tinfoil. ...No string or wire were to be found but there were some eyelets in the paper to indicate that some sort of attachment may have been used. CHARLES B. MOORE (USAF description) Prof. Moore stated that the [Mogul] neoprene balloons were susceptible to degradation in the sunlight, turning from a milky white to a dark brown. He described finding remains of balloon trains with reflectors and payloads that had landed in the desert: the ruptured and shredded neoprene would "almost look like dark gray or black flakes or ashes after exposure to the sun for only a few days. The plasticizers and antioxidants in the neoprene would emit a peculiar acrid odor and the balloon material and radar target material would be scattered after returning to earth depending on the surface winds." J. BOND JOHNSON (Staff reporter for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, he was called out to General Ramey's office on July 8 before the press conference. Johnson took four widely published photos, 2 with Ramey and weather balloon debris, and 2 with both Ramey and aide Co. Thomas J. Dubose. Johnson is the only witness describing smelly rubber debris, no mention being made by anybody else who had seen or handled debris prior to this.) (R&S1) In Ramey's office, Johnson saw the wreckage scattered on the floor. It wasn't an impressive sight, just some aluminumlike foil, balsa wood sticks, and some burnt rubber that was stinking up the office.... Johnson said, "It was just a bunch of garbage anyway. He [Ramey] had a big office, as most of them [generals] do. And he walked over and I posed him looking at it, squatting down, holding on to the stuff... Almost the first thing Ramey had said was, 'Oh, we've found out what it is, and you know, it's a weather balloon'" On the floor were the remains of a weather balloon. Part of the rubber in it had burned and Johnson was surprised that Ramey would keep it in his office. 6. FILAMENT-LIKE MATERIAL: WILLIAM BRAZEL JR.; (F&B) "[There was] something on the order of heavy-gauge monofilament fishing line...The "string", I couldn't break it." "[There was also] some threadlike material. It looked like silk, but was not silk, a very strong material [without] strands or fibers like silk would have. This was more like a wire, all one piece or substance." (B&M) "There was some thread-like material. It looked like silk and there were several pieces of it. It was not large enough to call string, but yet not so small as sewing thread either. To all appearances it was silk, except that it wasn't silk. Whatever it was, it too was a very strong material. You could take it in two hands and try to snap it, but it wouldn't snap at all. Nor did it have strands or fibers like silk thread would have. This was more like a wire--all one piece or substance. In fact, I suppose it could have been a sort of wire--that thought never occurred to me before." 1st-LT. JAMES McANDREW (Speaking for the Air Force Report) (KPFA) "Other people described a monofilament-type line that was some-kind of fiber optics. Well there was indeed some single nylon line present on this balloon." CHARLES B. MOORE (USAF description) [The Mogul radar reflectors were made of] single strand and braided nylon twine, brass eyelets and swivels to form a multi-faced reflector similar in construction to a box kite. (Pflock description) Moore and his team used very strong (150 and 300 pound test) monofilament nylon line in rigging their Mogul arrays. This could account for the material which has been said to resembled heavy gauge monofilament nylon fishing line. Also used was hand braided lobster twine, composed of many fine nylon threads. Moore told me the twine's individual strands strongly resembled silk threads when the twine unraveled, which it did easily when broken or cut. This could account for the debris described as silk-like threads. ROSWELL DAILY RECORD, 7/9/47, information provided by Mac Brazel (Note: Brazel had been under detainment by the military when he gave this information to the paper) (Quoted in USAF Report.) No string or wire were found, but there were some eyelets in the paper to indicate that some sort of attachment may have been used. USAF REPORT (Description of Mogul balloon radar reflector) This blueprint provides the specifications for the foil material, tape, wood, eyelets and string... An examination of this device revealed it to be simply made of aluminum-colored foil-like material over a stronger paper-like material, attached to balsa wood sticks. 7. AMOUNT OF MATERIAL, GOUGES, AND SIZE OF DEBRIS FIELD WASHINGTON POST, 7/9/47 (F&B) [Rancher William] Brazel found the broken remains of the weather device scattered over a square mile of his land ... He bundled the tinfoil and broken wooden beams on the kite and the torn synthetic rubber remains of the balloon together and rolled it under some brush ..." ROSWELL DAILY RECORD Story, 7/9/47, information provided by Mac Brazel. Quoted in USAF Report. (F&B) "[Brazel thought that the material]...might have been as large as a table top. The balloon which held it up, if that is how it worked, must have been about 12 feet long, he felt, measuring the distance by the size of the room in which he sat. The rubber was smoky gray in color and scattered over an area about 200 yards in diameter. When the debris was gathered up the tinfoil, paper, tape, and sticks made a bundle about three feet long and 7 or 8 inches thick, while the rubber made a bundle about 18 or 20 inches long and about 8 inches thick. In all, he estimated, the entire lot would have weighed maybe five pounds." USAF REPORT (Note: The following statement was apparently based on statements given by Mac Brazel and printed in newspaper article above. In this article, he recanted much of the story previously given to friends and the media. He was being illegally detained by the military and was apparently under a lot of pressure.) From the rather benign description of the "event" and the recovery of some material as described in the original newspaper accounts, the "Roswell Incident" has since grown to mythical (if not mystical) proportions in the eyes and minds of some researchers, portions of the media and at least part of the American public. There are also now several major variations of the "Roswell story." For example, it was originally reported that there was only recovery of debris from one site. This has since grown from a minimal amount of debris recovered from a small area to airplane loads of debris from multiple huge "debris fields." 1st-LT. JAMES McANDREW (USAF, Atch. 32) "The balloon that was found on the Foster Ranch consisted of as many as 23 350 gram balloons spaced at 20 foot intervals, several radar targets (3 to 5), plastic ballast tubes, parchment parachutes, a black "cutoff" box containing portions of a weather instrument and a sonabuoy." CPT. SHERIDAN CAVITT (USAF, Atch. 17), "The area of this debris was very small, about 20 feet square, and the material was spread on the ground, but there was no gouge or crater or other obvious signs of impact. I remember recognising this material as being consistent with a weather balloon. We [Marcel and Cavitt] gathered up some of this material, which would easily fit into one vehicle." MAJOR JESSE MARCEL (F&B) "When we [Marcel & Cavitt] arrived at the crash site, it was amazing to see the vast amount of area it covered. It was nothing that hit the ground or exploded [on] the ground. It's something that must have exploded above ground, traveling perhaps at a high rate of speed, we don't know. But it scattered over an area of about three quarters of a mile long, I would say, and fairly wide, several hundred feet wide." (R&S2) [It was clear to him that ] something ... must have exploded above the ground and fell. [With Cavitt's help he was able to] determine which direction it came from and which direction it was heading. "It was in that pattern ... You could tell where it started and where it ended by how it was thinned out .. I could tell that it was thicker where we first started looking and it was thinning out was we went southwest." (B&M) "I saw a lot of wreckage but not complete machine. Whatever it was had to have exploded in the air above ground level. It had disintegrated before it hit the ground. The wreckage was scattered over an area of about three quarters of a mile long and several hundred feet wide. ... We head about it on July 7 [actually July 6] when we got a call from the county sheriff's office at Roswell. ...The sheriff said that Brazel had told him that something had exploded over Brazel's ranch and that there was a lot of debris scattered around." (Pflock, Bob Pratt interview) "[The material was scattered] about as far you could see -- three-quarters [of a] mile long and two hundred to three hundred feet wide. I tell you what I surmised. One thing I did notice -- nothing actually hit the ground, bounced on the ground. It was something that must have exploded above ground and fell. ... [It was] scattered all over -- just like you'd explode something above the ground and [it would] just fall to the ground. One thing that I was impressed with was that it was obvious you could just about determine which direction it came from and which direction it was heading. It was traveling from northeast to southwest. It was in that pattern. You could tell where it started and where it ended by how it thinned out. Although I did not cover the entire area this stuff was in, I could tell that it was thicker where we first started looking, and it was thinning out as we went southwest." BILL BRAZEL JR. (B&M) "...a terrible lightning storm came up. He [Brazel Sr.] said it was the worst lightning storm he had ever seen...--strike after strike. He said it seemed strange that the lightning kept wanting to strike the same spots time and again, almost as if there was something attracting it to those spots--he thought underground mineral deposits or something. Anyway, in the middle of this storm there was an odd sort of explosion, not like the other thunder, but different. ...he just guessed it was some freak lightening strike. ...the next morning while riding out over the pasture to check on some sheep, he came across this collection of wreckage scattered over a patch of land about a quarter mile long or so, and several hundred feet wide. He said to me once that it looked that whatever this stuff had come from had blown up. He also said that from the way this wreckage was scattered, you could tell it was traveling "an airline route to Socorro," which is off to the southwest of the ranch. ...He showed me the place where this stuff had come down, but of course you couldn't see anything there since the Air Force had had a whole platoon of men out there picking up every piece and shred they could find." BRIG.-GENERAL ARTHUR EXON (Exon, stationed at Wright Field, flew over the site of the debris field in Nov., 1947. He became commanding officer of Wright- Patterson in 1964.) (R&S2) "[It was] probably part of the same accident, but [there were] two distinct sites. One assuming that the thing, as I understand it, as I remember flying the area later, that the damage to the vehicle seemed to be coming from the southeast to the northwest, but it could have been going in the opposite direction, but it doesn't seem likely. So the farther northwest pieces found on the ranch, those pieces were mostly metal. ...I remember auto tracks leading to the pivotal sites and obvious gouges in the terrain." ROBIN ADAIR (Adair was an Associated Press teletype operator sent to Roswell from El Paso to cover the story. Chartering a plane, Adair flew over the debris field on July 8.) (R&S2) "We could make out a lot of stuff ... looked like burnt places ... You could tell that something had been there. [The field was large and] I remember four indications ... It was rather hard to line them up from the plane ... I wanted to find out if they ran east to west or north to south. I never did get it square in my mind. [Adair could see the gouge and tracks on the ground] You couldn't see them too good from the air ... Apparently the way it cut into [the ground], whatever hit the ground wasn't wood or something soft. It looked like metal. [Adair didn't think that it had skipped as it hit the ground. It was his impression that it had come down flat.] Right straight down and right straight back up when it left. It took off the same damned way. It didn't side off or slide off. It went straight up just like it came straight down. [Adair said that he saw two sites] One of them wasn't very distinctive. The other was plainer." BESSIE BRAZEL SCHREIBER (B&M) [She described the wreckage as] so much debris scattered over pastureland. "There was what appeared to be pieces of heavily waxed paper and a sort of aluminum-like foil. ...Some of the metal-foil pieces had a sort of tape stuck to them...It was very light in weight, but there sure was a lot of it. ...We never found any other pieces of it afterwards -- after the military was there. Of course we were out there quite a lot over the years, but we never found so much as a shred. The military scraped it all up pretty well." (Pflock, affidavit 9/22/93) "In July, 1947, right around the Fourth, dad found a lot of debris scattered over a pasture . . . Dad was concerned because the debris was near a surface-water stock tank. He thought having it blowing around would scare the sheep and they wuld not water. . . . We went on horseback and took several feed sacks to collect the debris. . . There was a lot of debris scattered sparsely over an area that seems to me now to have been about the size of a football field. There may have been additional material spread out more widely by the wind, which was blowing quite strongly. . . . [I do not] remember seeing gouges in the ground or any other signs that anything may have hit the ground hard. . . We spent several hours collecting the debris and putting it in sacks. I believe we filled about three sacks, and we took them back to the ranch house. We speculated a bit about what the material could be. I remember dad saying, "Oh, it's just a bunch of garbage. . . . I do remember they [the military] took the sacks of debris with them." WALT WHITMORE JR. (B&M) Several days later [after the military had left], Whitmore, Jr., ventured out to the site and found a stretch of about 175-200 yards of pastureland uprooted in a sort of fan-like pattern with most of the damage at the narrowest part of the fan. He said that whatever it was "just cleaned it [the area] out ... The Army Air Force searched around out there for two days and cleaned out everything." M/SGT. LEWIS RICKETT (R&S1) "The MP's, four or five in the first group, were close to the gouge. There were twenty-five or thirty others scattered around the perimeter. The Provost Marshall didn't want anyone just wandering up on it." CHARLES B. MOORE (B&M) [When asked whether the Roswell device might have been a weather or other scientific balloon, Moore replied] "Based on the description you just gave me [large gouge, large debris field, large quantities of debris], I can definitely rule this out. There wasn't a balloon in use back in '47, or even today for that matter, that could have produced debris over such a large area or torn up the ground in any way. I have no idea what such an object might have been, but I can't believe a balloon would fit such a description." TOMMY TYREE (Tyree was a ranch hand hired by Brazel after the events.) (R&S2) [Tyree] said that Brazel had been annoyed because the material formed a [thick] barrier [of debris] that the sheep refused to cross. Brazel had to drive them around the debris field to get them to water [more than a mile away]. PHYLLIS McGUIRE (daughter of Roswell Sheriff George Wilcox and Inez Wilcox) (VIDEO1) [quoting her father when Brazel first came to his office]: "He had some material with him ... which I did not know what it was. ...He said that he had sent some deputies out there and they had seen some things. They had seen a corral that had some of the material in it and they had seen a large burnt spot on some grass about the size of a football field." BARBARA DUGGER ( granddaughter of George and Inez Wilcox) (F&B) "[My grandmother told me that my grandfather] went out there to the site; there was a big burned area and he saw debris. It was in the evening." ROBERT PORTER [M/Sgt Robert Porter was a B-29 flight engineer with the 830th Bomb Squadron. He happens to be Loretta Proctor's brother. The material referred to by Porter was probably the initial crash debris first picked up by Major Jesse Marcel and Lt. Col. Sheridan Cavitt, sent out to investigate the crash.] (F&B) "We flew these pieces. [Some officers in the crew] told us it was parts of a flying saucer. The packages were in wrapping paper, one triangle-shaped about two and a half feet across the bottom, the rest in smaller, shoebox-sized packages. [They were in] brown paper with tape. It was just like I picked up an empty package, very light. The loaded triangle-shaped package and three shoebox-sized packages would have fit into the trunk of a car. On board were Lieutenant Colonel Payne Jennings [deputy commander of Roswell] and Major Marcel. Captain Anderson said it was from a flying saucer." (Pflock, FUFOR, Affidavit 6/7/91) "On this occasion, I was a member of the crew which flew parts of what were told was a flying saucer to Fort Worth. The people on board included ... and Maj. Jesse Marcel. Capt. William E. Anderson said it was from a flying saucer. After we arrived, the material was transferred to a B-25. I was told they were going to Wright Field in Dayton, Ohio. I was involved in loading the B-29 with the material, which was wrapped in packages with wrapping paper. One of the pieces was triangle-shaped, about 2 1/2 feet across the bottom. The rest were in small packages, about the size of a shoe box. The brown paper was held with tape. The material was extremely lightweight. When I picked it up, it was just like picking up an empty package. We loaded the triangle shaped package and three shoe box-sized packages into the plane. All of the packages could have fit into the trunk of a car. ...When we came back from lunch, they told us they had transferred the material to a B-25. They told us the material was a weather balloon, but I'm certain it wasn't a weather balloon..." ROBERT SHIRKEY (Pflock) He remembers standing in the operations office doorway with Blanchard, watching Major Marcel and several others quickly pass through the building to the waiting B-29. ...Marcel and another member of the group carried open cardboard boxes filled with debris, including what appeared to be pieces of metal, "brushed stainless steel in color," and an "I-beam" about two feet long with peculiar markings on it. One of the other men carried a piece of metal-like material, measuring about 18 by 24 inches. Shirkey also recalls he saw packages wrapped in brown paper being loaded from a staff car directly into the aircraft on the ramp. Shirkey says he later heard all the material was from a crashed flying saucer. (Pflock, FUFOR, Affidavit 5/30/91) "Several days later, a B-25 was scheduled to take something to Ft. Worth. This was the second flight during this period: the third was a B-29 piloted by Oliver W. "Pappy" Henderson directly to Wright-Patterson. I learned later that a Sergeant and some airmen went to the crash site and swept up everything, including bodies. The bodies were laid out in Hanger 84. Henderson's flight contained all that material. ROBERT SLUSHER (S/Sgt Robert Slusher was assigned to the 393rd Bomb Squadron. He was interviewed in 1991) (F&B) [On or about July 9, 1947... he was aboard a B-29 that taxied to the bomb-loading area, located far from the main part of the base for safety reasons. There they loaded a single crate he estimated was twelve feet long, five feet wide, and four feet high. There were MPs on board, Slusher said, and they were armed, suggesting the crate contained something more exciting than canned hams or office supplies.] ... There was a rumor that the crate had debris from the crash. Whether there were any bodies, I don't know. The crate had been specially made; it had no markings. ROBERT SMITH [Robert Smith was a member of the First Air Transport Unit, which operated Douglas C-54 Skymaster four-engined cargo planes out of the Roswell AAF. He was interviewed in 1991.] (F&B) A lot of people began coming in all of a sudden because of the official investigation. Somebody said it was a plane crash, but we heard from a man in Roswell that it was not a plane crash, it was something else, a strange object. There was another indication that something serious was going on. One night, when we were coming back to Roswell, a convoy of trucks covered with canvas passed us. When they got to the [airfield] gate, they headed over to this hangar on the east end, which was rather unusual. The truck convoy had red lights and sirens. My involvement in the incident was to help load crates of debris into the aircraft. We all became aware of the event when we went to the hangar on the east side of the ramp. There were a lot of people in plain clothes all over the place. They were inspectors, but they were strangers on the base. When challenged, they replied they were here on Project So-and-So, and flashed a card, which was different from a military ID card. We were taken to the hangar to load crates. There was a lot of farm dirt on the hangar floor. We loaded [the crates] on flatbeds and dollies. Each crate had to be checked as to width and height. We had to know which crates went on which plane. We loaded crates on three [or] four C-54s. We weren't supposed to know their destination, but we were told they were headed north. . . .There were armed guards around during loading of our planes, which was unusual at Roswell. There was no way to get to the ramp except through armed guards. There were MPs on the outskirts, and our personnel were between them and the planes. The largest [crate] was roughly twenty feet long, four to five feet high, and four to five feet wide. It took up an entire plane. It wasn't that heavy, but it was a large volume. The rest of the crates were two or three feet long and two feet square or smaller. [. . . All I saw was a little piece of material. . . .] The sergeant who had the piece of material said [it was like] the material in the crates. The entire loading took at least six, perhaps eight hours. Lunch was brought to us, which was unusual. The crates were brought to us on flatbed dollies, which was also unusual. Officially, we were told it was a crashed plane, but crashed planes usually were taken to the salvage yard, not flown out. I don't think it was an experimental plane, because not too many people in that area were experimenting with planes. I'm convinced that what we loaded was a UFO that got into mechanical problems. Even with the most intelligent people, things go wrong. 8. MISCELLANEOUS GEN. SCHULGEN'S DESCRIPTION OF FLYING SAUCER MATERIAL (F&B)(Gen. George Schulgen, of the USAF's Air Intelligence Requirements Division, issued a memorandum on Oct. 28, 1947 for American intelligence operatives throughout the world, directing them to get all potentially relevant information about flying saucers. The memo gave the following descriptions of materials of particular interest to Schulgen's staff. Note: The Roswell events took place primarily between July 2 and July 8, 1947.) "Construction. a. Type of material, whether metal, ferrous, non-ferrous or non-metallic. b. Composite or sandwich construction utilizing various combinations of metals, metallic foils, plastics, and perhaps balsa wood or similar material. c. Unusual fabrication methods to achieve extreme light weight and structural stability." DR. ROBERT SARBACHER [Sarbacher was a physicist and industrial scientist who acted as a consultant with the U.S. Department of Defense Research and Development Board (RDP). In numerous interviews, dating back to 1950 (e.g., see Wilbert Smith below), he claimed to have been on advisory boards dealing with crashed saucers, and that they and dead aliens did indeed exist. The following is from a letter he wrote to UFO investigator William Steinem, November 29, 1983, reprinted in Timothy Good's "Above Top Secret."] " . . . my participation was limited. About the only thing I remember at this time is that certain materials reported to have come from flying saucer crashes were extremely light and very tough. I am sure our laboratories analyzed them very carefully. There were reports that instruments or people operating these machines were also of very light weight, sufficient to withstand the tremendous deceleration and acceleration associated with their machinery. I remember in talking with some of the people at the office that I got the impression that these "aliens" were constructed like certain insects we have observed on earth, wherein because of the low mass the inertial forces involved in operation of these instruments would be quite low." WILBERT B. SMITH [Smith was a Canadian radio engineer who interviewed Sarbacher in September, 1950, at which point Sarbacher told him flying saucers and aliens were real. Smith headed the Canadian "Project Magnet" from 1950-54, an attempt to understand and replicate flying saucer performance. He was also a member of the government's Canadian Research Group and "Project Second Story," secretly investigating UFOs. The following is from "Flying Saucers -- Serious Business" by Frank Edwards, portions of which are reprinted in "Above Top Secret"] (Speaking before the Illuminating Engineering Society, Ottawa, January 11, 1959 on the subject of UFOs) "Various pieces of 'hardware' are known to exist, but are usually clapped into security and are not available to the general public." (Taped interview by C.W. Fitch and George Popovitch, November, 1961) Q: Have you ever handled any of this hardware yourself, sir?" A: Yes. Quite a bit of it. Our Canadian Research Group recovered one mass of very strange metal . . . it was found within a few days of July 1, 1960. there is about three thousand pounds of it. We have done a tremendous amount of detective work on this metal. We have found out the things that aren't so. We have something that was not brought to this Earth by plane nor by boat nor by any helicopter. We are speculating that what we have is a portion of a very large device which came into this solar system . . . we don't know when . . . but it had been in space a long time before it came to earth; we can tell that by the micrometeorites embedded in the surface. But we don't know whether it was a few years ago -- or a few hundred years ago. Q: You mean then that you have about a ton and a half of something metallic, of unknown origin. A: That is correct. We can only speculate about it at this time -- and we have done a great deal of that. We have it but we don't know what it is! Q: I have been told by a mutual friend that in 1952 you showed [Rear] Admiral [H. B.] Knowles [U.S. Navy, Retired] a piece of a flying saucer. Is that statement correct, sir? A: Yes. It is correct. I visited with Admiral Knowles and I had with me a piece which had been shot from a small flying saucer near Washington in July of that year -- 1952. I showed it to the Admiral. It was a piece of metal about twice the size of your thumb which had been loaned to me for a very short time by your Air Force. Q: Is this the only piece you have handled which definitely had been part of a UFO, Mr. Smith? A: No. I've handled several of these pieces of hardware. Q: In what way, if any, do they differ from materials with which we are familiar? A: As a general thing they differ only in that they are much harder than our materials. Q: What about this particular piece from the UFO near Washington . . . did it differ from conventional materials? Was there anything unusual about it? A: Well, the story behind it is this: The pilot was chasing a glowing disc about two feet in diameter -- Q: Pardon me, sir. But did you say TWO FEET . . .? A: That is correct. I was informed that the disc was glowing and was about two feet in diameter. A glowing chunk flew off and the pilot saw it glowing all the way to the ground. He radioed his report and a ground party hurried to the scene. The thing was still glowing when they found it an hour later. The entire piece weighed about a pound. The segment that was loaned to me was about one third of that. It had been sawed off. Q: What did the analysis show? A: There was iron rust -- the thing was a matrix of magnesium orthosilicate. The matrix had great numbers -- thousands -- of 15-micron spheres scattered through it. Q: You say that you had to return it -- did you return it to the Air Force? A: Not the Air Force. Much higher than that. Q: The Central Intelligence Agency? A: [Chuckles] I'm sorry, gentlemen, but I don't care to go beyond that point. I can say to you that it went to the hands of a highly classified group. You will have to solve that problem -- their identity -- for yourselves. JACQUES VALLEE (Vallee is a famous French UFO investigator, now living in San Francisco. The following comments about Roswell are from his 1991 book, "Revelations," before the release of any information on the Project Mogul balloons.) "The material recovered in the crash itself, while it remains fascinating, was not necessarily beyond human technology in the late Forties. Aluminized Saran, also known as Silvered Saran, came from technology already available for laboratory work in 1948. It was paper-thin, was not dented by a hammer blow, and was restored to a smooth finish after crushing." "Roswell was the site for the very first air base equipped with atomic bombs. If a special type of balloon or drone, designed to monitor atmospheric radioactivity in the area, had been flown over New Mexico, such a device might well have been brought down during a thunderstorm. Given the extremely high sensitivity of anything related to the bomb or radioactivity at the time, it would have been a high priority, top secret task to recover any lost device of that type and to explain it away at all costs: as a weather balloon, as a radar test instrument, as a probe, OR EVEN AS A CRASHED FLYING SAUCER. It would not have been difficult to plant an egg-shaped device in the desert to divert attention from the real debris, and even to scatter a few diminutive bodies to represent dead aliens. ... I am not very disturbed by the fact that the material found at Roswell was strong and nearly indestructible, as tested by the farmers and some of the military men. Material that can be hit with a sledgehammer without damage, yet will remain flexible and will not burn, is not beyond modern technology at all. I am bothered, however, by the alleged hieroglyphics found on the balsa wood. You would think that Air Force intelligence could have come up with something better."


E-Mail Fredric L. Rice / The Skeptic Tank