System Enhancement Associates
Policy Statement on ARC Trademark and Copyrights
Many of our users have expressed concern regarding use of the ARC trademark
and copyrights. To better meet their needs we have formulated this
Statement of Policy, effective as of September 13, 1988. This policy
applies to anyone who does not already have an agreement with us.
In the interest of serving the needs of the bulletin board community and
supporting the shareware concept, we pledge to:
o Maintain the ARC file format as a stable industry standard.
o Continue to upgrade ARC for speed and efficiency.
o Continue to distribute ARC as a shareware product, and continue
to allow for its free non-commercial use.
Futhermore, we pledge to foster the ingenuity and creativity of our fellow
shareware authors, whom we are happy to support in virtually every manner.
To protect the rights of our shareware licensees, ARC may be freely
copied and distributed subject to the following conditions:
1) No fee may be charged for such copying and distribution.
2) ARC may only be distributed in its original, unmodified state.
3) ARC may not be distributed, in whole or in part, as part of any
commercial product or service without the express written permission of
4) ARC may be made available for download by pay bulletin boards and
similar commercial services provided that no additional fee is charged
specifically for downloading ARC.
Use of the ARC trademark may be licensed subject to the following terms:
1) Any use of the ARC trademark means that the product is SHAREWARE. We
need a fully functional copy of the latest version with documentation
to make available on our BBS for general download.
2) Your product must be compatible with the current version of ARC from
SEA, and must be of an acceptable level of quality and workmanship.
3) We must have your name and address so that we can keep you informed on
any changes to ARC.
4) As the legal owner of the ARC trademark, we are bound by US trademark
laws to protect and maintain the integrity of ARC in any program that
uses the ARC trademark . To comply with this, we must ask for fully
commented source code. We will keep your source code completely
confidential if you so desire, and we will not make use of any of your
source code in any of our products without your express, written
ARC SOURCE CODE
The ARC program sources have always been available for informational
purposes. They may be used freely in the creation of shareware utilities
that examine the contents of an ARC format archive. Any other use of the
ARC source code is subject to the following terms and conditions:
1) Your product must be SHAREWARE. We need a fully functional copy of the
latest version with documentation to make available on our BBS for
2) The first $100,000 worth of revenues is yours to keep. We want 6.5% of
any revenue above that in return for the use of our code.
3) For the protection of our users, your product may not produce ARC
format archives which are incompatiable with our current version of
ARC FILE FORMAT
1) We hereby grant to the entire world and all sentient creatures in the
universe who do not already have an agreement with us to the contrary a
perpetual, unlimited, galaxy wide license to read, extract, create, or
otherwise manipulate ARC format archives. This does not include any
license to use our sources or trademarks.
2) If you make any changes to the format such that your file is not
compatible with the current version of ARC, then the result may not be
referred to as an ARC format Archive.
We feel that this Policy Statement is a fair and workable answer to all
concerned with ARC format archives, developers and users alike. If any
developer is unable to comply with these terms, please contact us at (201)
473-5153 to discuss alternative arrangements.