This funeral rite is to be performed for members of the Order of
PRAEPARATIO DE MORTUUS
For the most part, modern day burials are for the living. They
are done for purposes which are thoroughly selfish, and the
dignity of the deceased is sometimes overlooked. This is
terribly wrong. Death is the Great Initiation, and the living
must insure that the traveler is properly and respectfully
prepared to embark on the greatest quest; that of death and
rebirth. It might be difficult for those who wish to use this
procedure to find undertakers who are compassionate to their
wishes, but in cases such as this much creativity is usually
aroused by a dedicated few.
1) The body must not be disturbed, disfigured, or in anyway
altered as by such practices as autopsy, blood removal, or
2) Fresh flowers and fruits must be brought to the body as soon
as possible. A bowl of water with a pinch of salt, and incense
must be put in the same room.
3) The body must be dressed in FULL REGALIA. This means at
least: White Robe, Sword, Liber Al, Holy Books of Thelema. If
regalia is inaccessible then a white robe will do.
4) He/she should be placed in the center of a small wooden boat.
Flowers, fruit, incense, and essential oils should be placed
around the body. The body should be saturated in a scentless
5) The body should be ignited and set to sea at sunset. Some
one should read chapter I of Liber Al.
6) Later, a big feast is to take place in honor for the
deceased. This is not a time to grieve, but a time of great
happiness, where the deceased is remembered and spoken about only
as though he/she have gone on a trip, and the choice to go had
7) The deceased must be remembered and mentioned in the Collects
of The Eclesia Gnostica Catholica or an equivalent ceremony.