By: Mark Bunner Re: FAXALERT: Campaign Refor NRA-ILA FAX ALERT 11250 Waples Mill Road * Fa

---
Master Index Current Directory Index Go to SkepticTank Go to Human Rights activist Keith Henson Go to Scientology cult

Skeptic Tank!

By: Mark Bunner Re: FAXALERT: Campaign Refor NRA-ILA FAX ALERT 11250 Waples Mill Road * Fairfax, VA 22030 Phone: 1-800-392-8683 * Fax: 703-267-3918 Vol. 3, No. 5 2/2/96 CAMPAIGN REFORM BILL WOULD SILENCE GUN OWNERS Your right to actively participate in the political process is under attack in the U.S. Senate. S. 1219, a campaign finance reform bill, would prohibit NRA from providing you with information on candidates for office, as we currently do with our political preference charts, forcing you to rely on the candidates themselves for their positions on Second Amendment issues. Even more ominous are provisions that would give the anti-gun media even more power to influence the electoral process than they have today! S. 1219 would ban "independent expenditures" by a "group of individuals" -- groups like NRA. That means we would no longer be able to advertise on behalf of candidates who support our rights -- which often times is necessary to counter the distortions of the anti-gun media. Make no mistake, S. 1219 is a blatant attempt to limit your right to free speech! With Congress in recess until February 24, now is a great time to contact your Senators at their district offices and urge them to oppose S.1219! GUN BAN REPEAL STILL PENDING: Efforts to repeal the Clinton gun and magazine ban continue in the House of Representatives. Despite a lengthy delay on repeal legislation, NRA remains confident that a vote will be taken in the near future. Contact your Representative at his district office and urge him to support repeal of the Clinton gun and magazine ban! DEFENSE BILL SAVES DCM PROGRAM: President Clinton is expected to sign a defense appropriations bill that would create a non-profit corporation, run by a nine-member board appointed by the Secretary of the Army, to oversee the Civilian Marksmanship Program (DCM). This arrangement ensures that the matches at Camp Perry, Ohio will continue, and it is believed that the formation of a new corporation to administer DCM will lead to expanded efforts to attract more shooters to the program. THE TRUTH ABOUT THE SO-CALLED "CANNED" HUNT BILL: The anti-hunting attacks on NRA for our opposition to H.R. 1202, the mislabeled "canned" hunt bill, continued this week. Don't buy into the anti-hunters' lies about this legislation, get the facts from NRA-ILA. Call 1-800-392-8683 for a fact sheet on how H.R. 1202 will affect you and your hunting rights! WYDEN SQUEAKS PAST SMITH IN OREGON RACE: On Tuesday, January 30, pro-gun candidate Gordon Smith (R) was narrowly defeated by anti-gunner Ron Wyden (D) in Oregon's special election to fill the U.S. Senate seat vacated by Bob Packwood. Wyden was able to slip past Smith 48% to 47%, with the margin of victory provided by voters in the state's urban areas, who are traditionally hostile to our firearm freedoms. Smith's chances were also hurt by the 5% of voters who cast their ballots for minor-party candidates. Unfortunately, some of those may have been gun owners looking for a "perfect candidate" -- and ignoring Gordon Smith's superb record in the legislature. If even half of that "perfectionist vote" had gone to Smith, Ron Wyden would not be Oregon's next U.S. Senator! Expect this victory to energize the anti-gunners for this November's elections! Call NRA-ILA today and find out how you can help pro-gun candidates win in November! STUDY ESTIMATES 2.5 MILLION DEFENSIVE FIREARMS USES PER YEAR: Florida State University professor Gary Kleck's recent study on firearm ownership indicates that Americans use guns approximately 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. According to the 1993 study, the number of defensive uses of firearms is four times greater than the number of criminal uses; and in 76% of the defensive uses, the firearm was never discharged. The results, which were published in the January 1996 issue of the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, will be presented this Saturday, February 3, at a national criminologists convention at Northwestern University. A LOOK AT THE STATES: Arizona: On Tues., Feb. 6, the Senate Judiciary Committee will consider SB 1099, NRA-backed right to carry reform legislation. Members: please call the Senate Judiciary Committee members at 1-800-352-8404 & urge them to support SB 1099! Indiana: On Mon., Feb. 5, the Senate Correction & Criminal Code Committee will hold a hearing on HB 1011, the NRA-backed range protection bill. Members: please contact your State Senators & urge them to support HB 1011. Also, on Thurs., Feb. 1, the Senate voted down SB 89, a measure which would have mandated how you store your handguns in your own home. The measure failed on a 33-17 vote. Kentucky: The House Judiciary Committee passed HB 40, NRA-backed right to carry legislation. The full House was expected to vote on the measure on Thurs., Feb. 1. We'll keep you posted! Missouri: The full Senate will vote on SB 679, the NRA-backed right to carry bill on Tues., Feb. 6. Members: please contact your State Senators & urge them to support SB 679! West Virginia: The Senate Judiciary Committee passed HB 4077, the NRA-backed right to carry bill. A vote on the House floor is expected to take place early next week. Members: please contact your State Delegates & urge them to support HB 4077! GRASSROOTS GEARING UP IN NEBRASKA AND MISSOURI: NRA-ILA is bringing our FREE Grassroots Seminars to Nebraska and Missouri next week. Plan to attend and meet with lawmakers, candidates, NRA leaders, staff, and your fellow NRA members and volunteers! Seminars will be held in Lincoln, Nebraska on February 8 and in St. Louis, Missouri on February 10. Call NRA-ILA at 1-800-392-8683 for more information or to reserve your seat today! =+=+=+=+ This information is provided as a service of the National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action, Fairfax, VA. This and other information on the Second Amendment and the NRA is available at any of the following URL's: http://WWW.NRA.Org, gopher://GOPHER.NRA.Org, wais://WAIS.NRA.Org, ftp://FTP.NRA.Org, mailto:LISTPROC@NRA.Org (Send the word help as the body of a message) Information may also be obtained by connecting directly to the NRA-ILA GUN-TALK Bulletin Board System at (703) 934-2121. -----------------------------------

---

E-Mail Fredric L. Rice / The Skeptic Tank