From: Questor Thews
Msg #675, 13-Aug-93 09:52pm
Subject: UPC Debunking
Here's another beaut. It's a bit longer, but it represents the most
outrageous part of the UPC.
There is a tenet of the UPC, Int. called "standards of Holiness", which
start out reasonably(for a religion) and then get outrageous--and all of
these are expected to be followed.
This is taken from a tract in the UPC itself. To keep it short, I'm
simply going to list the standards. If you all want the entire tract,
tell me, but this is probably good enough.
Pay especial attention to numbers 7,11,12,16,20,21,26-28, 31, 32, 34-39,
41-51. These are the REALLY outrageous ones. The others are simply
codes to keep the members in line and out of jail. Others in the
"attention" list are just to show the disinformation that is presented.
"Order from: Know the Truth Literature
P.O. Box 1294, Minden, LA 71058-1294"
1. to Read and Study the Bible...
2. to Pray
3. to Fast
4. to Faithfully Attend Church
5. to Worship God [don't worry, they get much better. read on]
6. to be an Effective Witness
7. to Show Yourself Friendly to Sinners, but not to Fellowship with
8. to Love God with All your Heart
9. to Love Your Neighbor as Yourself
10. to Forgive one another
11. to Obey the Ministerial Leadership of the Church
12. to Support God's Financial Plan of Tithes and Offerings for the
Ministry of the Church
13. to Obey the Laws of the Land
14. for Employees to Obey Their Employers
15. for Husbands to Love their Wives as Christ Loved the Church
16. for Wives to Obey their Husbands
17. for Parents to Train Up Their Children in the Right Way with Love
and Proper Discipline
18. for Children to Respect, Honor, and Obey Their Parents
19. not to Gossip
20. to refrain from Obscenity, Filthy Jokes, and Suggestive Statements
21. not to Take the Lord's Name in Vain
22. to Control Your Temper
23. to be Temperate in All Things
24. to be Diligent in Business and Church Matters
25. to Pay All Your Honest Debts
26. not to Lie, Cheat, Gamble, or Steal
27. not to Over Eat or to be a Glutton
28. to Abstain from Drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco, etc.
29. not to Participate in Riots, Violence, or Street Gangs
30. not to Commit Murder
31. not to be a Member of a Secret Club, Secret Organization, etc.
32. not to Participate in the Occult or any Form of Witchcraft; such as
Fortune Telling, Seances, Ouija Boards, Horoscopes, Magic,
Hypnotism, Transcendental Meditation, Spiritualism, E.S.P, etc.
33. not to Worship Idols
34. not to Read Sinful Novels, Magazines, etc.
35. not to Look at Pornography
36. not to Have a Television
37. not to Listen to Rock Music, Country and Western Music, or Any Style
which Suggests Sex, Rebellion, Drugs, or the Occult
38. for Singles to Conduct Themselves as a Christian(Christ-like) when
39. not to Engage in Sexual Relationship[sic] without the Sanctity of
40. not to Commit an Abortion
41. to Date and Marry a Christian of Like Faith and Experience
(editor's note--read as "of the UPC")
42. not to Engage in Incest, Homosexuality, Lesbianism, Beastiality,
43. not to Participate in Worldly Amusements such as Ball Games, Rodeos,
Circuses, Racetracks, Bowling Alleys, Skating Rinks, Theaters, Game
44. not to Go Dancing, Mixed Bathing, etc.
45. for Men to Cut Their Hair Short
46. for Women not to Cut their Hair but to Let it Grow Long
47. not to Dye Your Hair
48. not to Wear Clothing that Pertaineth to the Opposite Sex
49. to Wear Decent, Modest Clothes with Modest Styles; Moderate Prices
and Colors; Decent Dress Lengths, Sleeve Lengths, and Neck Lines
50. not to Wear Jewelry
51. not to Wear Makeup.
X SLMR 2.1a X All's well that ends.