If you accept that:
1) God is a myth. Humankind's future is in its own hands.
2) Prayers are what you say to yourself. Success in life depends
on human effort.
3) Humans are a part of nature and developed in it. What purpose
there is in life, humans make.
4) When you die, your life is over forever. Only your ideas can survive.
5) The church and clergy are in business for themselves. They have no
more special knowledge about life than the average person.
6) Humankind is responsible for what it does. There are no sins, crimes
cannot be forgiven by religious rites, holy water, or doing penance.
7) The time to live is now, the place to live is here and the way to
be happy is to make yourself and others happy.
You are an Atheist!
The question is:
Why would Atheists ever need to get together in an organization? Just look
at television, or listen to radio - and that's why.
The religious community is everywhere trying to intrude itself into your
life- overtly. It is already there covertly. You pay a higher sales tax
because the churches are tax-exempt. You get a bigger cut taken out of your
inheritance, because the churches can take, tax-free. Your real estate tax
is booming because the churches pay none at all. The tax-free ride of the
giant business of religion causes your tax bills to be increased yearly.
The churches reach into your life to tell you when to eat, what to eat,
what to read, what you can see on television or in a cinema. They dictate
divorce laws, marriage laws, sex laws. They prohibit sex education where they
can, see to it that birth control information is not distributed, and then damn
the woman who gets pregnant, doesn't want a child, and seeks an abortion.
The churches- and all the "big-time" television preachers should be
required to account for every penny which they receive and pay taxes like
everybody else. No church should be permitted to run a tax-free business in
competition with those of us who need to pay taxes.
American Atheists is a non-political, non-profit organization dedicated to
defending the civil rights, lifestyles, and philosophies of people who
exercise their First Amendment rights by choosing to be free from religion.
This organization has the following Aims and Purposes:
American Atheists are organized:
(1) to stimulate and promote freedom of thought and inquiry concerning
religious beliefs, creeds, dogmas, tenets, rituals, and practices;
(2) to collect and disseminate information, data, and literature on all
religions and promote a more thorough understanding of them, their
origins, and histories;
(3) to advocate, labor for, and promote in all lawful ways the complete
and absolute separation of state and church;
(4) to advocate, labor for, and promote in all lawful ways the establishment
and maintenance of a thoroughly secular system of education available
(5) to encourage the development and public acceptance of a humane ethical
system, stressing the mutual sympathy, understanding, and interdependence
of all people and the corresponding responsibility of each individual
in relation to society;
(6) to develop and propogate a social philosophy in which man is the central
figure who alone must be the source of strength, progress, and ideals
for the well-being and happiness of humanity;
(7) to promote the study of the arts and sciences and all problems affecting
the maintenance, perpetuation, and enrichment of human and other life;
(8) to engage in such social, educational, legal, and cultural activity as
will be useful and beneficial to members of American Atheists and
to society as a whole.
(1) Atheism is the Weltanschauung (comprehensive conception of the world and
of total human life value systems) of persons who are free from theism-
i.e. free *from* religion. It is predicated on ancient Greek Materialism.
(2) American Atheism may be defined as the mental attitude which unreservedly
accepts the supremacy of reason, and aims at establishing a life-style
and ethical outlook verifiable by experience and the scientific method,
independent of all arbitrary assumptions of authority or creeds.
(3) Materialism declares that the cosmos is devoid of imminent conscious
purpose; that it is governed by its own inherent, immutable and impersonal
laws; that there is no supernatural interference in human life; that man
-finding his resources within himself- can and must create his own destiny.
Materialism restores to man his dignity and his intellectual integrity.
It teaches that we must prize our life on earth and strive always to
improve it. It holds that man is capable of creating a social system
based on reason and justice. Materialism's "faith" is in man and man's
ability to transform the world culture by his own efforts. This is a
commitment which is in every essense life-asserting. It considers the
struggle for progress as a moral obligation and impossible without noble
ideas that inspire man to struggle and to bold creative works. Materialism
holds that mankind's potential for good and for more fulfilling cultural
development is, for all practical purposes, unlimited.
If you would like more information, write to:
The American Atheist General Headquarters
P.O. Box 140195
Austin, Texas 78714-0195