DEATH, BURIAL AND RESURRECTION I Cor 15:1-4 Sometimes we want to fudge or make special all
DEATH, BURIAL AND RESURRECTION
I Cor 15:1-4
Sometimes we want to fudge or make special allowances for
friends and relatives who say they believe in the death, burial and
resurrection of Christ. We want to sneak them in the back door.
This is not making a righteous judgment.
Shouldn't we really try to teach them the true meaning of the
death, burial and resurrection?
Paul says the death, burial and resurrection are preliminaries
or prerequisites to the gospel. It's not complete to believe only
in the death, burial and resurrection.
Catholics, Mormons, JWs and a lot of other cults believe the
death, burial and resurrection.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BELIEVE IN THE DEATH, BURIAL AND RESURRECTION?
A. WHO IS CHRIST? -- CULTS SAY "CHRIST" -- MEAN SOMEONE/SOMETHING ELSE
1. Son of God / God the Son
a. Christ taught this
b. Jews refused it
c. John 10:33, 1:1&14; Isa 9:6, 7:14; Matt 1:23
2. Christ is God--the center of reference in the Gospel, not man
B. WHY DID CHRIST DIE?
1. To save His people from their sins - Matt 1:21 "And she shall bring forth a
son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins."
a. What is sin?
(2) unbelief (belief is commanded)
b. All have sinned
2. To win a REAL salvation for his people
a. Christ did not die to win the mere possibility of salvation for all men
b. Commercial Religion says Christ died to save everyone (then, why hell?)
c. Commercial Religion might try to avoid universalism by saying:
(1) Nothing God has done can save us until we add something (1 %)
(2) Decisive factor is not Christ's work, but our faith
(3) Our believing saves us
(4) Christ doesn't choose an elect people, they choose Him
d. Commercial Religion is saying you can repent and believe without the
prior work and regeneration of the Holy Spirit.
(1) God cannot make you repent and believe
(2) God cannot violate your free will
(3) Lord of Glory is reduced to a beggar who knocks at your heart
hoping you will let Him in.
3. To make the DEAD sinner alive
a. All are spiritually dead (Eph 2:1 "dead in trespasses and sins")
(1) Helpless, unable to contribute even 1/10th of 1%
(2) Unable to do God's will
b. They must be spiritually resurrected
A. CHRIST WAS PHYSICALLY BURIED
B. BELIEVERS ARE SPIRITUALLY BURIED IN BAPTISM (Rom 6:4)
A. WHY WAS CHRIST RESURRECTED?
1. To declare His Sonship - Rom 1:4
2. To prove sin's power has been canceled LOOK @ I Cor 15:17
B. BODILY RESURRECTION
1. Not mystical or spiritual
2. Glorified body LOOK @ Jn 20:26-27
BIBLICAL ILLUSTRATION: LAZARUS
In the story of Lazarus we see the operation of God.
Lazarus died PHYSICALLY.
Sinner's problem: He is dead SPIRITUALLY.
Some say there is no correlation. But if that's true, then Christ's death has no correlation
Remember, Christ died physically, and Christ was raised physically. -- That's 2 correlations!
LOOK @ Rom 6:3-4 Now turn to John 11:39-44 [READ]
Lazarus's condition: DEAD, unable to do anything
Sinner's condition: DEAD, unable to do anything
God must raise Lazarus.
God must raise the sinner.
In Lazarus we see a picture of the death, burial and resurrection. And we see a picture
of TOTAL INABILITY.
Lazarus has no terms to offer to God to get him out of the tomb.
Likewise, the sinner's terms will not work.
LOOK @ Jn 6:37-44
You "come" on the Father's terms--believing the death, burial and resurrection.
Again in Lazarus we see it is God who must make a person alive.
Some still ask, "How can you use Lazarus as an example?" LOOK @ Eph 2:1-9
So then, WHAT IS IT TO BELIEVE IN THE DEATH, BURIAL AND RESURRECTION?
1) We must be made willing and believing participants
2) We must see salvation as totally the operation of God (100%)
a) I am dead
b) I cannot bury myself
c) I cannot resurrect myself
E-Mail Fredric L. Rice / The Skeptic Tank